20th Century Girl

 Let me start this out by saying that this is genuinely one of the most heartbreaking movies I have ever had the privilege of watching. I cannot stress that it will make even the strongest soldier tear up like a baby. This movie follows a couple in a Korean high school in the 90s. As an enemies to lovers situation, they hate each other and go through thick and thin in order to get where they are. They finally get together, and the boy ends up leaving for Europe, promising to come back to wish her happy birthday and a celebration of the century. He does not come back, but instead sends a heartfelt videotape along with a letter saying, "welcome to the 21st century". It is honestly disgusting how much I cried after the movie ended because you grow such an attachment to the couple, then a hatred for the boy, but then you feel sad, and then you just feel devastated and hopeless.


I am so glad I got baited into watching this movie, as I make it a point to actively avoid sad films. 20th Century Girl is a reminder to not take your high school days for granted, and it serves as a throwback to old friendships, your parents, adulthood, society, and the notion of "right person, wrong time". The character development for nearly every single character is top notch, as well as the development for their relationship. It took forever, like pulling a rubber band taught, then letting go. Except when it was let go it slapped you instead... After a year and a half of not watching it, and watching it again I can safely say that this movie deserves its spot on my 10 list. 10/10.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts