Wonka

I personally really liked this movie, as well as my dad, who is not a musical person. I started it not expecting a whole bunch from it and for it to be just another continuation of a classic for some clout. Honestly, Wonka was not as bad as I expected it to be. Wonka is basically a prequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where Wonka is an aspiring chocolate seller in the city but runs into sneaky corporate mobsters who try everything in their power to stop them. This story is such a push and pull kind of storyline, whereas once something good happens, the viewer is dragged back down but then also pulled back up. I think this a great kids movie, not something for an older audience, which is totally okay. Often I think today we expect all these movies being released to be blockbusters and for them to cater to our (young adults, teens, etc...) tastes. Wonka is a great movie to watch both to feel like a kid again, and for a bit of nostalgia. Speaking of, Wonka does a great job as a an extension of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at tying in just the right amount of references to appease the older audience, while also maintaining its individuality as a film separate than the older version.


I did find it a little odd at the personality flip of Wonka, seeing as in the Chocolate Factory film he was an emo-social recluse-hermit kinda guy, and in Wonka he was a happy jolly kinda guy. I never really worried too much about it though, honestly, I hope it was on purpose in fact. Just another movie to release to explain about his personality flip.

The colors! Absolutely gorgeous. Everything done for this movie really brings out that bizarre childlike wonder you're supposed to get from Willy Wonka's candy. The CGI used for some of the tricks in the movie was not too shabby either, and trust me, I have seen shabby.

Overall, I really had no problem with this movie. I think that people that hate on it can't accept that not all movies are made to cater to their demographic. Wonka is a great kids movie that gives a nod to nostalgia, but also steps forward to a new era of Willy Wonka and his chocolate. 8.9/10.

Comments

  1. I think, visually, this would be a super fun movie to watch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts