The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

 I watched this movie for AP English Language and this movie nearly made me cry. I am not usually a crier in movies, and it takes a lot for me to cry, but this movie nearly got me. All of the actors in this movie were stellar in the way they portray emotion, in the way where it renders the viewers speechless. Deborah (Oprah Winfrey) was absolutely amazing in the way she acts out paranoia and anxiety. That being said, they did leave out the whole first part of the book. The first part of the book was extremely important because it was on Henrietta's origins, which pay homage to her legacy. This movie is about the legacy of Henrietta and the cells that were taken from her, HeLa. Henrietta had cervical cancer, and when she went under surgery for it, tissue was taken from her without her knowledge. That tissue developed into HeLa cells, which later made millions of dollars. 


I honestly do not think this movie was necessarily bad, but it was not anything I personally would write home about. I was disappointed that they decided to not include Henrietta's past and chose to include more  of Deborah's present. I feel as if that defeats the whole purpose of the movie. Overall, I rate this movie a 6.5/10.

Comments

  1. See? Now I get a glimpse into what you guys are talking about in AP English.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts