In the Mood for Love

     In the Mood for Love is a beautifully shot movie with stunning shots and scenes. And although the actors the actors themselves did wonderfully, I found the story kind of hard to follow as a first time watcher. I was really lost on some parts, but once I rewinded a couple times and paid attention to the dialogue, I found it all makes sense. In the Mood for Love is the kind of movie where you absolutely cannot miss any second- or else you'll end up suuuuper confused. 

    For example where the dialogue repeats when he first tries to get close with her, or him mentioning the sealing of a secret with mud to his friend. If I never rewinded that part of the dialogue, I would have never guessed the meaning of the ending of the movie. Speaking of endings, I feel like that clip of the French President arriving in 1966 was a way to show that- yes, it was the start of the Vietnam war era, but also a new era for Mr. Chow and Ms. Su. In a way, nothing from the era before was retained, and the state of the world changed with the pair. The movie ending in Cambodia was really sudden in my opinion and out of nowhere, considering we were jumping from place to place as we got closer to the end. I had loads of questions at the end: she has a kid now? Where's the dad? They aren't together? How are they gonna get so close to each other at the end, but not know they're right there? I found the ending disappointing in a way, but I liked the concept of a bittersweet ending and love that couldn't quite reach its peak- something different.


Overall I give the movie a 9.5/10


Comments

  1. YOU TOOK MY ADVICE! (You might have to watch this movie again if we get to China as a unit, but that's a longshot.) I'm glad you dug it. It's not an easy movie to watch, but if you want to get into Wong Kar-Wai, you need to see this movie. Also, I think you have Everything Everywhere All at Once on your Top 5. The references to the protagonist as a film star is a loving homage to this movie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts